Passports and Visas
All visitors to New Zealand must carry a passport that is valid for at least 3 months beyond the date they intend to leave the country.
You do not need a visa or permit to visit New Zealand if you are:
- A New Zealand citizen or have a New Zealand Returning Resident’s Visa
- An Australian resident with a current Australian Resident Return Visa
- If you are a citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand.
Currently travellers from more than 50 countries do not require a Visitor’s Visa for stays less than three months. You do require:
- A passport that is valid for at least three months after your departure from New Zealand
- An onward or return ticket to a country that you have permission to enter
- Sufficient money to support yourself during your stay
To find out if your country qualifies for a visa waiver, check out the Visiting New Zealand section of the New Zealand Immigration Service website. You will find a list of all eligible countries and other useful visa information. Your travel agent, airline or nearest New Zealand Embassy will also be able to advise you if you require a visa. British citizens and other British passport holders who have evidence of the right to live permanently in the UK may be allowed to stay for up to six months.
Visitor’s Visa Application
If your country is not on the visa waiver list or you wish to stay longer than three months you will need to apply for a Visitor’s Visa. You can download an application form from the New Zealand Immigration Service website, or contact your nearest New Zealand Embassy.
Study and Work Visas
The New Zealand Immigration Service also has information on work, business or student visas. If you want to study in New Zealand, check out the websites of the New Zealand Independent English Language Schools and Education New Zealand Trust.
If you are thinking about living permanently in New Zealand, read the Migration section of the New Zealand Immigration Service website. It contains a brief summary of immigration requirements and information on obtaining a residence application pack.