New Zealand is fast becoming one of the most sought after destinations worldwide for its unparalleled cycle tours and this is due to the implementation of a government initiative Nga Haerenga - The New Zealand Cycle Trail.
Tuatara Tours has partnered with Nga Haerenga to bring you five of the best New Zealand Cycling Tours.
- The Alps 2 Ocean cycle tour, is a 5 day, 270km simply stunning ride from the base of the Southern Alps through some of the South Island’s most spectacular scenery to the historic coastal town of Oamaru on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. This breathtaking trail descends 780 metres, creating an ideal Grade 1 & 2 biking experience for everyone to enjoy, from first timers and family groups to vastly experienced riders.
- The West Coast Wilderness Trail is classed as the country’s smoothest and most accessible cycle trail. Arrive as a visitor and leave as a local when you spend four fun filled days on two wheels. This trail was originally carved out by pioneering gold rush miners. Today these old tracks, together with extensive water races, logging tramways and short length railway lines, form the West Coast Wilderness Trail. You ride through ancient rainforests, along glacial rivers, around moody lakes and across wetlands all taking you down to the famous West Coast beaches to finish in the historic gold town of Ross. This cycle tour is graded ‘Moderate’ and is a 4 day ride over 135.5km
- The Queenstown Cycle Trail starts in Otago’s world renowned Wakatipu Basin. Queenstown’s reputation as one of the world’s favourite adventure and cycling destinations is enhanced with the addition of this iconic New Zealand Cycle Tour. Set amongst spectacular mountains on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, there’s a picture postcard around every corner. The cycle tour meanders through some of New Zealand’s most breathtaking scenery and brings to you 5 days of spectacular cycling and local experiences. For the first time ever, you can cycle over mighty suspension bridges, alongside six iconic rivers and six lakes... all set in dramatic landscapes, some used for the now famous Lord of the Rings films. The Queenstown Cycle Trail is graded as "Mild" and is 206kms over 5 days
- The Otago Rail Trail is ideal for cyclists who wish to see some spectacular Central Otago scenery, at an easy pace, on flat (gravelled) terrain. Trains typically travel through hills, around hills but (if it can be avoided) not uphill (the maximum gradient is 2%). Journey Into The Past! - The heritage of the old railway line has been preserved, with the retention of viaducts and bridges, and some of the old Railway Stations. The Trail is a public reserve, and motorised vehicles are not permitted. Therefore walkers and cyclists have no traffic concerns as they traverse the level surface. This cycle tour is graded ‘Easy’ and is a 4 day ride over 152km.
- The Tasman Great Taste Trail takes you on a leisurely ride through Nelson's most beautiful coastal and inland routes offering stunning views along the way. On the first 2 days riders will pass vineyards, breweries, orchards and no end of exciting places to stop and enjoy the local attractions. You then journey by vehicle “over the hill” as the locals call it, to Golden Bay and all this delightful area offers, including - Pupu Springs - the cleanest and clearest water in the world. Two days of easy biking awaits you in the Golden Bay area before you travel back "over the hill" to ride your final day alongside the beautiful and tranquil Motueka River. The Tasman Great Taste Trail is graded as "Moderate" and is 200km over 5 days.